Friday, November 20, 2009

writing to an audience

- So I wrote a Twilight parody on Facebook, and only two people seemed to get it was even a parody or why it was funny. WHich means maybe it wasn't funny, but the people who thought it was funny really like it. I thought it was funny.

It goes to support my theory that most people don't pay attention to the details of writing, though. I put exaggerated movements, I put dialoge contradictions that made no sense unless you were an uber-angsty character, and I used ridiculous descriptions multiple times. So either you guys must think I'm a terrible writer, or you weren't paying attention. ;P I'm kidding. I wrote it at 3am last night, so maybe it really wasn't funny.

Makes me wonder though, about what kind of audience I'm ever going to be able to get it I keep writing in my niche. It's what I like, so I don't think I'm going to try and change, but at the same time, i would like to, someday in the far distant future, be commercially viable.

Something for me to think about.

- New Moon came out at midnight. The hour of 12am to 1am was one of the busiest I've seen in a long time. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

3 comments:

David said...

I missed the first comment, and read it because I thought you had said you were working on a real excerpt for us to read.

Yes, I did immediately think Twilight and read it several times hoping that it wasn't what it was. I kept looking for some hope. I didn't want to tell you it stunk.

Then I thought, maybe you could write the stuff and make the big $$$ and then write what you want.

aLEK said...

really interesting but we must take into account much more information, do not think it a good movie, but I think it's interesting the issues that command, fura advertising that have made this. To spend time, nothing more.

Anonymous said...

It was sooooo funny!!! I don't know how anyone could have overlooked the joke! Jenn and I both cracked up about it.
-Kate